Sunday, November 20, 2011

Photo of the Week


I bought this interesting item at Carrefour last week.  I was intrigued and confused by the barbecue flavor being advertised with the picture of two strips of bacon underneath.  The tag line that says, "with Vitamins" just makes me giggle, especially because vitamins is capitalized.  So I can convince myself that this is a health food item, right?  In Utah there is a potato chip company named Clover Club.  I wonder how they would feel about this competitor?

On a related note, have you heard the rumor going around Doha that Qatar will soon have pork products for sale?  Maybe as soon as January 2012.  They will only be sold to non-muslims, of course, but that will be a big deal if it actually happens.  I heard this rumor via facebook, so take it for what it is worth.  My friend, who is leaving Doha in January, posted that she went to turn in her liquor license at the one place in Doha where expats can buy alcohol (other than at the hotels) and was told that she might want to hang on to the license because pork is coming.  So I guess that means that buying it will require a liquor license?! Huh?  Maybe Katrina needs to give me a little more information on how it will all work. Either way, I really don't know what I am going to tell my Mormon bishop when he confronts me about being seen coming out of the liquor store carrying cases of products to my car.  It will all be in the name of the Relief Society Hawaiian luau after all. . .

I know they sell pork products in Dubai and you can get pork in some restaurants in Abu Dhabi, so this isn't unheard of in the Middle East, but it will be nice not to have to lug that frozen Easter ham labeled "beef" in my luggage after Christmas from the U.S.  Just kidding censors!  Calm down.  I would never do that, but I do know people who have.  And just so you know, the unique corn snack tastes nothing like barbecue or bacon.  In fact, it didn't taste all that much like corn either.  Ahhh, truth in advertising.

No comments: