Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Gift I Gave to Myself


It was my birthday last week and during my morning errands I found myself singing in the car.  My iPod was hooked up, Blondie's hit "Heart of Glass" was blasting away and so was I.  No, I wasn't just singing when I was driving on a deserted road with no judging gawkers around (that is impossible in Doha anyway).  I was singing out loud with a wide mouthful of lyrics.  There were no mumbled words being swallowed and disguised at the intersections either. 

You might ask me what the big deal is.  Well, let's just say I have been pretty inhibited my whole life, and singing in the car always had me worrying about what those other drivers might think about the crazy girl in the SUV talking to herself.  So this was a big step for me.  I guess it is about time I gave myself permission to enjoy what few pleasures there are while driving.  It has only taken me . . . oh . . . about 47 years to do this, and while I'm at it, you now know my age, which is another thing I don't care about either.

4 comments:

Amy said...

You are wonderful, Dianna! What a milestone. Happy Birthday.

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

47 years young...If I didn't know you had adult children I would never guess that. You are beautiful and kind and genuine and fun! Happy birthday!

terahreu said...

Thank goodness it wasn't Ramadan. You just might have found yourself in jail for having so much fun! Too bad I am moving, I might have just got a glimpse of your Blondie moment!

Mary said...

I just ran into Heart of Glass as I was browsing iTunes! Hahaha! I'm so glad you broke loose and had a good jam session! Heart of Glass is a pretty sweet song! I'm trying to remind myself these days that I can still sing in the car even with Ellie! Its not like she cares! :D You should do it with Abbey on the way yo school or when you pick her up! See how much you can make that cute pre-teen blush!