Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Well Said Brother Card!


There have been a couple of issues in the news recently that involve the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or more commonly known as the Mormon Church. I belong to this church and have perked up my ears whenever anyone mentions, writes about, or mass emails about these topics. One issue is Proposition 8 in California dealing with the state constitution's definition of marriage. The other has to do with the HBO series Big Love which is carefully including Mormon themes and characters into its main polygamist story, even going so far as to depict sacred temple ceremonies in certain episodes.

Maybe you can imagine my interest and concern with these two issues. Maybe you can't. Nonetheless, these two issues are causing some Mormons to take on a somewhat militant stance towards the misrepresentation of Mormon people and beliefs in the media. I often think about how best to express my feelings about what I feel are unjust and/or incorrect statements made by usually uneducated people or individuals who have a personal agenda. Today I found someone who did just that. So check this article out. Orson Scott Card is a prolific, well-respected author who seems to have a good handle on how best to confront incorrect press. Thanks, Brother Card, for using your expertise to say what I wish I would have said.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

That is a great article! He makes a very good point...

Jan.lyons said...

We had a regional conference about 20 years ago. It was the time that an anti LDS film was being widely circulated. Then 1st counselor Gordon B. Hinckley was the key note speaker. He said (pharaphazing)I understand you are going through a lot of negative things in this area right now. Let me give you my philosophy. We have always had times of trial and always will have times of trial. Here is my thought on it...So, what! Love them and get on with your lives. And that was the end of his speaking on the topic. That has been my personal philosophy since then. So what, don't let it get to me. Move on with productive ideas. Sometimes it is hard for me, but hey, if that is the advice of a prophet, I can 'so what' a lot of things.