Monday, May 14, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week 2012


I am about to put on my diabetes writing hat . . . . ready?. . . . . okay.  This is my kick-off post for Diabetes Blog Week 2012 so get ready for some SWEET writing.  Today's prompt:

Monday, May 14, 2012:  It seems the most popular thing about Diabetes Blog Week is that it helps us find blogs we weren’t reading yet and connect with some new blog friends.  With that in mind, let’s kick off Diabetes Blog Week by making some new connections.  Think about the d-blogs you read that you think we may not know about and introduce us to one that you love!!  Let’s all find a new friend today!


I only read two diabetes Blogs regularly because that is really all I have time and emotional energy for.  I really get invested in the blogs I read and feel connected to the writers even though they don't know me from Adam.  


The first Diabetes Blog I ever came across was Kerri Sparling's and she opened my eyes and my heart to so many ways of discussing this disease that I share with her and millions of others.  Her humorous writing style always touches me and I seem to be able to laugh a little more easily at myself and others when it comes to dealing with diabetes.  Kerri is a new mom and a tireless advocate for PWD (People With Diabetes) everywhere.  As I already stated, I get emotionally invested in the lives of these bloggers, so when Kerri announced a few months ago that she was going to be attending a diabetes conference in Dubai, I seriously thought it was my duty to go too and meet up with her since I live in Qatar (a one hour plane ride away from Dubai).  I wanted to be her own personal Middle Eastern Welcome Wagon and meet her at the airport, even though I had never even been to Dubai at that time.  I quickly woke up out of my silly hero worship fantasy and supported her with comments and suggestions on her blog instead.  So check out Kerri's blog.  It means a lot to me and really hits the spot when I am Diabetically Desperate.


Another blog that I regularly read is written by Kim Vlasnik.  Her honesty and energy about dealing with a chronic disease are refreshing and uplifting.  She even creates cartoons about this monster disease and shares them with anyone who wants to use them in any form.  Both Kim and Kerri write a lot about diabetes technology and innovations and that interests me.  They also seem to be very "hooked-up" with the diabetes companies that make these lovely devices that we wear, so they seem to be great voices for the powers-that-be to be listening to.  I really appreciate both of these online friends and suggest you check them out.

No comments: